Cities and regions today are undergoing far-reaching changes conditioned by climate change, socio-cultural and demographic changes as well as new economic and technological developments. In the light of this, the research and teaching at the Chair of Urban Design and Urban Development combines knowledge of space and people for the aim of sustainable and livable city development. With interest in spatial qualities and people, the department is committed to integrated scholarship, which crosses disciplinary boundaries and researches theories and practical planning approaches and solution in national and international context.
Current research projects and PhDs of the department fall into the following themes:
- Educational spaces and urban planning, cities as educational settings
- Built environment education BEE for children and youth, participatory urban design
- Future cities and resource-efficient urban design
- Housing: development, design, stakeholders
- Urban food systems, retail and infrastructure development
- Scholarship of teaching and learning in urban design, visual communication and cartography
current research projects
completed research projects
2014 – 2017
2013 – 2014
2012 – 2013
Innovation in Teaching: Teaching and Learning as a Counter-Current Process. Testing new methods in urban design and communication of planning.
2012 – 2014
2011 – 2012